One of the coolest things about having this blog and sharing my recipes and adventures is how far things sometimes get shared. WordPress shows what country people looking at my blog are from on a fun little colour-coded map. Sometimes I check it and am so amazed by where people are looking at my blog. Today was Canada (makes sense) and Norway. The other day it was Singapore. I had a big string of views from Japan a few weeks ago. It’s just so cool to think that I’m sitting here at my desk outside of nowhere in South-Western Ontario and people all over the world can see what I’m making for dinner!
We’ve been cooking burgers a lot here, mostly just because they’re so easy to throw on the BBQ after work and serve with a salad or some veggies, or grilled potatoes or whatever. Making burgers with turkey lightens them up and adding the fresh herbs and breadcrumbs gives them something different than just boring plain beef every time. You could top these off with anything from your standard mustard/relish/ketchup/cheese ensemble to some blue cheese, guacamole, or garlic mayo. Ground turkey can get expensive, so buy a couple packages when it’s on sale and freeze what you don’t need. Or see if you have a local butcher who deals with turkey. You’ll probably get a better deal, support a local business, and know where your food is coming from (as much as you can with ground meats).
This recipe makes 4 to 6 burgers, depending how big you want them to be.
- 450g lean ground turkey
- 1 green onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 tbsp fresh thyme
- 1/2 tbsp fresh rosemary, roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup Italian breadcrumbs
- 1 egg
- Preheat the BBQ on high-medium heat.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the turkey, onion, thyme, rosemary, and egg. Gradually add the breadcrumbs until the mixture is sticky enough to mold into burgers.
- Divide the mixture into 4 to 6 balls, and then flatten to make the burgers.
- Place the burgers on the grill and cook for 5 minutes on each side, or until there is no pink left in the middle. Place on grilled buns and top with all your favourite condiments.