As June is starting to wind down, the produce here just keeps on coming! I’ve seen lots of posts lately for zucchini recipes so I thought I’d do my own take on grilled zucchini. I picked up two big zucchinis from the farmers’ market in Mitchell last Friday and they have been awesome to cook and play with. I cooked up one last night to go with hamburgers for supper, but had the idea for this salad while driving home from work.
Some fun nutrition facts: 1 cup of zucchini only has 20 calories! But it has 33% of the vitamin C you need in a day. Take that, summer colds! Cooked barley, on the other hand, has 6g of fiber per cup, and 4g of protein. I feel like both these foods are seriously underrated and live in the shadow of “super foods”, so they deserve some love. Just a quick note that barley is not gluten free, for those who need it for dietary reasons. If you want to make this gluten free, I’d suggest substituting quinoa. I’ve also had a couple requests for lactose-free recipes so I’ll get to work on those soon! You can leave the feta out of this salad, but it really won’t be quite the same.
You can eat this salad warm or cold, and could top it off with a poached egg if you want to add some more protein to your meal.
This recipe serves 6 as a side and 3 to 4 as a main.
- 3/4 cup uncooked pearl barley
- 1 large zucchini
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1/2 tsp dried basil (or 2 tsp chopped fresh basil)
- Cook the barley according to the directions on the package. Drain and set aside in a large mixing bowl.
- Cut the ends off the zucchini, and then cut in quarters, lengthwise.
- Preheat the BBQ on medium-high heat. Cook the zucchini for 15 minutes, turning to evenly cook all three sides.
- Slice the zucchini and add it to the mixing bowl.
- Add the feta, olive oil, red wine vinegar, and basil.