Better late than never! I’ve gotten into such a habit of writing my blog posts in the morning, either before an evening shift at work or on days off, that writing posts right at the end of the day makes me feel so disorganized. I should really start working farther ahead on recipes and taking pictures, but since I’m trying to use seasonal produce, and since some things don’t always work quite the way I think they will, that doesn’t always happen.
Today I managed to track down some local strawberries, and I was really lucky because this was the first day this particular stand was open! Strawberries from the grocery store just aren’t the same as local ones bought at the side of the road, which can only be rivaled by strawberries picked right from the garden. While strawberries are so delicious on their own, I wanted to come up with another way to serve them, and one that wasn’t a dessert. I definitely had some flash backs to my fine-dining class from the winter when I was making 10 of these and trying to make them all look the same. This recipe serves 5 people as an appetizer.
As always, if you like what I’m doing, share it around and don’t forget to like my Facebook page!
- 10 thing slices multigrain baguette or ciabatta bread
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/3 cup ricotta cheese
- 1 1/4 cups strawberries, sliced
- 10 small mint leaves
- 1/2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- Preheat the BBQ on medium-high heat.
- Divide the lemon juice between the slices of bread. Toast on the BBQ until lightly brown.
- Divide the ricotta between the slices and spread evenly. Top with strawberry slices and a mint leaf for garnish. Lightly drizzle with balsamic vinegar and serve!