After a couple weeks of eating horribly, I’ve decided it’s time to get back on track with eating healthy. As in, actually eating vegetables. This salad was originally going to be a take on caesar salad, but ended up taking on a life of it’s own with this oil-based dressing. What I love about kale salads is that they are amazing when left to sit for a couple hours (or a couple days). While lettuce and spinach salads tend to wilt under their dressings, kale stands up and absorbs the dressing, making it so much more tender and flavourful. I could really tell you how great kale is all day. I know a third of a cup of oil seems like a lot for the dressing, but it’s only going to end up being a tablespoon per serving. Which is still a lot, but it’s made up of monounsaturated fatty acids, which can help decrease your LDL cholesterol as part of a healthy diet. Just don’t eat the whole bowl by yourself! There’s also no raw egg in this recipe, so it will be fine to sit in the fridge for a little while if you have leftovers. This recipe makes 6 to 8 servings.
- 1 large bunch of kale
- 4 large cloves garlic
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 tsp mustard powder
- 2 tbsp light mayonnaise (Not “whipped dressing”. I’m looking at you, Miracle Whip)
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp anchovy paste
- pinch of fresh ground pepper
- Roughly shred the kale, removing all the woody stems. The pieces should be bite sized. Place in a large salad bowl and set aside.
- Roughly chop the garlic. This doesn’t have to be perfect, it’s going in a blender. In a blender, Magic Bullet, or whatever lovely equipment you use, briefly blend the garlic, vinegar, and mustard powder. Add the mayo and blend again.
- Add the olive oil and blend well. Add the lemon juice, anchovy paste, and pepper, and blend until everything is well combined.
- Pour the dressing over the kale and toss until the entire salad is covered in dressing. Cover the salad bowl and refrigerate for at least an hour to let all the flavours blend together and let the kale soften. This salad will keep in the fridge for up to three days.