Over the summer, I became a big fan of lentils. They have a ton of fibre and a good amount of iron and they’re super easy to cook up. They became a staple meal after work, mixed with whatever was in the fridge on any given day. My favourite combination included green lentils with some cucumber, tomatoes, avocado, and goat cheese. While the tomatoes I can find in October just aren’t even close to as good as the ones I had all summer, this bowl is still pretty good and makes for a quick supper.
Here’s what you need:
- 1/3 cup green lentils, uncooked
- 1 small tomato, diced
- 1/2 avocado, diced
- 1 1/2 inches of a medium cucumber, sliced and quartered
- 2 tbsp goat cheese
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- Cook your lentils. I just throw them in a pot with some boiling water and cook them until they’re soft, normally about 15 minutes or so.
- Chop and mix the tomato, avocado, and cucumber.
- Once the lentils are cooked, drain them and add to the veggies.
- Top with goat cheese, red wine vinegar, and salt and pepper to taste.
I normally mix the goat cheese in and mush it all around, but I left it on top to get a nicer picture. It gets all melty with the warm lentils and coats everything. This recipe makes one really big bowl, but I find it works as one serving for me. This is a pretty flexible recipe, and I’ve also added chicken, red peppers, tofu, and edamame to the salad, just depending on what I have lying around when I’m hungry. Enjoy!